I was recently interviewed by my good friend, Rob Shore, for his Wholesaler Masterminds Lessons From Leaders Podcast Series to share my perspective on how sales leadership requirements have evolved since the ‘90s and the critical traits wholesalers must possess today to be promoted into leadership roles in 2019.
First, we discussed highlights from our 10th Annual Talent Trends Report reflecting on the trends that stood out throughout the past decade.
Then, we discussed the evolution of sales managers over the years and exchanged insight on the essential skill sets for wholesalers looking to be promoted into leadership such as:
- Authenticity – Caring for your team. No one cares about how much you know until they know how much you care.
- Vision – Setting a vision, articulating that vision, and getting buy-in from your team.
- Integrity – Being conscious of every decision that you make, and making better choices going forward.
- Application & Articulation – Being able to articulate the science and foundation behind your own sales success.
- Business Planning & Strategic Skills – Analyzing numbers and data from a strategic lens – not just a sales lens.
- Innovation – Brainstorming on new ways to solve for certain issues such as increasing profitability.
- Emotional Intelligence – Being an empathetic & self-aware leader.
Finally, we wrapped up with a quick discussion about various topics such as women and what they can do to migrate up the career ladder more effectively, consolidation, the importance of wholesalers to asset management, and the current talent shortage in the investment industry.
Listen to the entire podcast here, or check out the rest of Rob Shore’s Wholesaler Masterminds podcasts by visiting his website.